Sunday, May 13, 2012

Joyeuse fête des mères, maman!

In the week leading up to Mother's Day, the Globe & Mail featured pieces on various aspects of Mother's Day, including gift ideas, stories about motherhood, facing Mother's Day when struggling with infertility, and, to my shock and disgust, an article about how many mothers do not like the gifts their children give them.

Like many others, I'm sure, I tend to think that like Valentine's Day, Mother's and Father's Day are holidays manufactured by Hallmark. However, as a commenter on the Globe & Mail article wrote, what is so wrong about teaching children to celebrate and appreciate their parents? It's not about the gifts; it's about taking a moment to show gratitude for everything our mums do for us 365 days a year.

I was so excited that my mum was able to come visit me in Europe after I finished teaching in France, and to share her first trip to Europe. It was exhilarating to finish teaching and board a London-bound plane that same day to meet up with her.

Thank for everything mum! I hope we can go on more trips together soon!

No comments: