Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Grenoble


Last Saturday, my friend Emily and I went on a day trip to Grenoble, a French town also in the Rhône-Alps region about two-and-a-half hours away by train.

Grenoble is a mountain town, known for skiing, but we chose to go for the Marc Chagall exhibit that was showing at the Musée de Grenoble. I like the exhibit, but not having a background in Russian avant-garde art, I felt there could have been more explainations as to the artists' (which included Vassily Kadinsky, Natalia Gontcharova, among others) philosophies and ideas. Nevertheless, the exhibit was awe-inspiring and totally worthwhile.

After visiting the museum, Emily and I had lunch, but we didn't have gratin dauphinois. Instead we went to this delicious Indian restaurant.

It was a sunny hot day so later that afternoon we went for a walk partway up the mountain rather than take the téléphérique--a type of gondola which the locals nickname "les oeufs" or "the eggs." I really liked Grenoble. The city's backdrop of snow-capped mountains reminded me a lot of Vancouver and the Rockies.

(All photos by me except exhibit poster via Musée de Grenoble)

No comments: